Accounting Analyst, Real Estate
Location Toronto, Ontario
Consultant Feven Yeshanew
Date posted June 20, 2018First Canadian Place - 100 King St W, Suite 5600 Toronto, Ontario M6J 2X4 Robert Walters Canada
We're looking for a Accounting Analyst, Real Estate to join a growing commercial real estate investment manager team located Downtown Toronto. The firm is dedicated to providing institutional and high net worth investors with direct access to commercial real estate assets by striving to deliver stable and attractive long-term returns through a diversified portfolio of office, retail and industrial properties. The candidate must have or be working towards a CPA (international equivalent).
The Accounting Analyst, Real Estate will be reporting directly to the Controller of Real Estate Accounting and is responsible for interacting with third-party property managers and the oversight of the day-to-day accounting functions they perform for the firm's diversified portfolio of properties. The Accounting Analyst, Real Estate will also work closely with the investment and asset management teams, ensuring that they are receiving the information required to manage the properties effectively and that all internal and external reporting requirements are satisfied.
- Liaising with third-party property managers and accountants to ensure the integrity, accuracy and completeness of monthly accounting information and property management reports and the timely delivery of same.
- Preparation of month end bank reconciliations, journal entries, supporting working papers and quarterly financial statements for presentation to external investors.
- Assisting the controller with the preparation and review of client and portfolio reporting and schedules, including cash flow projections, monthly variance analysis reports, and annual budgets.
- Assisting with the preparation of property valuations and working with other members of the team to calculate investment returns, as well as regular external client and internal property and fund reporting requirements.
- Preparation of accounting entries for acquisitions and dispositions of investment properties.
- Reviewing management fees, leasing fees, charge-back invoices to tenants, HST reconciliations, annual CAM (Common Area Maintenance), and tax final billing adjustments.
- Assisting the Controller with preparation of sales tax filings and annual income tax returns and filings.
- Assisting with the calculation and reporting of net asset valuations (NAV) for an investment fund, including multiple series, on a monthly basis or at interim dates as required
- Support in implementation of accounting changes and other process improvements.
- Preparing monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and notes in accordance with ASPE, IFRS or other disclosed bases of accounting.
- Assisting with the annual audit process.
- Special projects and other duties, as assigned by the controller.
- Three to five years of accounting experience in real estate investment or property management businesses including the preparation of financial statements and notes.
- Undergraduate degree preferably in accounting or finance.
- CPA, CGA or CPA, CMA or actively enrolled in the CPA program (midway through or nearing completion) is an asset.
- Excellent financial and analytical skills.
- Strong computer skills with advanced knowledge of MS Excel; familiarity with Yardi is an asset.
- Knowledge of real estate fund accounting is an asset.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Proven ability to think logically and problem solve effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently under pressure; dealing with changes and interruptions while maintaining strict deadlines.
- Proven self-starter with the ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.