Head of Legal & Compliance - Food Supply Innovation
Salary Excellent Benefits
Location Southwestern Ontario, OntarioFULL_TIME
Consultant Dan Cardon
Job Ref BRSA9E
Date posted October 17, 2022other legal-compliance/general-counsel 2022-10-17 2022-12-16 manufacturing-and-production Southwestern Ontario Ontario CA Robert Walters https://www.robert-walters.ca https://www.robert-walters.ca/content/dam/robert-walters/global/images/logos/web-logos/square-logo.png
One of the largest family-owned Multi-National Companies in the Netherlands that is bringing innovation and sustainability to the Global Food Supply chain. As part of the global senior management team, there are opportunities for mobility within a group of companies that are also leaders in their respective industries.
- Deliver/execute/monitor, in close consultation with BU management, BU Legal Year Plan covering key risks and legal initiatives for the calendar year. Ensure that plan and its execution aligns with the overall corporate strategy.
- Manage and oversee all legal matters at BU / OpCo level, where necessary in consultation with other functions such as Insurance, Regulatory, Tax or Internal Audit:
- Draft, review, negotiate and manage material business contracts
- Review investment/credit/CAPEX proposals
- Manage material claims/litigation/incidents (including engagement and management of external counsel), coordinate with Insurance where applicable
- Increase business understanding & endorsement of Nutreco policies, with a particular focus on legal/contract management policies
- Enable BU / OpCo to set and manage their priorities for (contract) policy compliance
- Manage local corporate (secretarial) matters, including corporate restructurings, and attend board meetings
- Monitor and improve law firm performance and monitor legal spend
- Manage all legal aspects related to intellectual property rights to protect business interests.
- Perform regular legal risk checks/assessments and provide overview/reports to management
- Part of the global legal team. Participate in – and contribute to – global legal initiatives and projects.
Ethics & Compliance
- Manage and oversee all E&C matters at BU/OpCo level, including:
- E&C Program: assist BU with understanding, implementing, operating and monitoring the E&C Program, its policies and its procedures
- Code of Conduct: promote adherence to company ethical standards and drive a culture of openness and transparency
- Local compliance support: liaise with compliance support in BU’s / OpCo’s, support them to maximise their effectiveness and identifies room for improvement
- Risk assessments: develop a sound insight into the risk profile of the BU/OpCo by performing regular risk assessments.
- Training: provide in-person and online training to the local compliance officers and targeted business audiences on selected E&C topics and ensure designated audiences follow e-learning modules
- Incident handling: support the handling of incidents reported via Speak Up or otherwise, coordinate investigations and follow-up actions
- Monitor and report on the effectiveness and efficiency of the E&C Program within BU/OpCo and identify potential areas for improvement
- 8+ years of experience
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal/networking/negotiation skills
- Fluent in English, both speaking and writing. French, speaking and writing would be an asset.
- Canadian licensed lawyer or equivalent (i.e. foreign lawyer registered with Canadian Bar). Experience in working on US matters is an asset.
- Broad exposure to Canadian laws (in both common law and civil law systems)
- Self-starter, independent builder, pro-active and pragmatic, inquisitive and (business) focused, mature and convincing
- Able to operate in different cultural environments
- Able to think ‘one-level up’ i.e. to think beyond your local situation/organisation and take a broader picture and interest into account.
- Willing to travel domestically and internationally on a semi-regular basis (mostly within Canada/US)
- Knowledge of competition law, labour law, regulatory laws and (in-depth) corporate law knowledge is a ‘plus’ but can be (further) developed from within the role
- Experience in an international corporate / business-oriented environment
If this career opportunity is of interest, you can apply via the link below or to arrange a confidential chat, don't hesitate to contact me via;
☎ +1 647-870-3863