Get your next job in accounting
Are you searching for your next accounting role?
With a growing number of high quality candidates, competition to secure your next role in accounting could be intense.
Therefore, confidently conveying your career plan and reasons for changing roles is crucial to give you an edge over your peers.
A good starting point when setting yourself a career plan is to ask yourself a set of questions that will help to identify your motivations for finding a new role.
“Many accounting professionals are looking to move jobs within their first three years of employment and thus with this competition, you should aim to go the extra mile to demonstrate why you want to secure a new job," said Martin Fox, Managing Director at Robert Walters.
"The greatest benefit to having a clear career plan in place is to help you express why you are taking the next step in your accounting career.”
What should you consider before moving?
- Am I getting what I need from my current role?
- What are my short/medium/long term aspirations
- What are the key steps I need to take to reach my aspirations?
- What has driven me to these conclusions – are they realistic but ambitious?
- How do I intend to get there and what are my milestones?
Once you have established your reasons for wanting to move on in your career, the next step is to create a career plan to manage your aspirations effectively.
Steps to creating your career plan:
Many accounting professionals are looking to move jobs within their first three years of employment and thus with this competition, you should aim to go the extra mile to demonstrate why you want to secure a new job.
- Talk about it with a mentor
- Build a relationship with a good recruitment consultancy
- Be realistic and talk openly about what you want
- Develop your profile – get involved in other areas of the business
- Identify your own strengths and weaknesses – use your annual appraisal
- Have a positive attitude, believe in your abilities
- Regularly review opportunities – internal and external
- Be prepared to take a managed risk
Looking for your next opportunity in accounting & finance? Take a look at our latest jobs here.
Or, find out what you're worth using the Robert Walters Salary Survey.